Holidays to Durban & KwaZulu-Natal
With its inviting beaches, rich culture, and a host of attractions, Durban provides a perfect introduction to KwaZulu-Natal.
What to do in Durban
- Golden Mile: Stroll along this iconic stretch of beaches, offering endless opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. The vibrant promenade buzzes with restaurants, cafes, and entertainment.
- Ushaka Marine World: A marine theme park where you can explore underwater worlds, enjoy water slides, and get up close with marine life in the aquarium.
- Moses Mabhida Stadium: Take a SkyCar ride to the arch of this stadium for panoramic views, or try the adrenaline-pumping Big Rush Big Swing.
- Botanical Gardens: Visit the Durban Botanic Gardens, a lush oasis in the heart of the city, featuring a stunning collection of subtropical flora.
- Victoria Street Market: Explore this vibrant market for an array of African and Indian crafts, textiles, spices, and delectable street food
Where to visit in KwaZulu-Natal
- The Drakensberg Mountains: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this mountain range offers hiking trails, stunning vistas, and opportunities for adventure sports. Explore the Royal Natal National Park, Giant’s Castle Game Reserve, and Cathedral Peak.
- Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park: As one of the oldest game reserves in Africa, it’s renowned for its conservation efforts. Spot the ‘Big 5’ and many other species on a thrilling safari adventure.
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park: A diverse ecosystem encompassing wetlands, estuaries, and coastal dunes. Witness a variety of wildlife, including hippos, crocodiles, and an abundance of bird species.
- Oribi Gorge: Known for its dramatic landscapes, this nature reserve offers hiking trails, birdwatching, and thrilling activities like ziplining.
- Midlands Meander: A charming arts and crafts route where you can explore local artisans’ studios, enjoy gourmet dining, and take in the picturesque countryside.
By starting in Durban, you get a taste of the coastal charm and multicultural influences. As you venture into the Drakensberg Mountains, you’ll encounter breathtaking landscapes and ample outdoor pursuits. KwaZulu-Natal’s private game reserves and parks, including Hluhluwe-iMfolozi, offer the chance to immerse yourself in South Africa’s rich biodiversity.
Whether you seek relaxation, adventure, or wildlife encounters, this diverse province promises an enriching travel experience from coast to mountains and savannas. The Freedom Africa team are able to advise and create bespoke holiday itineraries from Durban just for you.
Get In Touch