Holidays to Johannesburg & Pretoria
For many visitors, O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg is the arrival point into South Africa, and whilst big cities can be intimidating, it would be shame to bypass Johannesburg completely.
What to do in Johannesburg
By spending some time in Johannesburg it is possible to delve into the nation’s multifaceted history, culture, and vibrant urban life.
- A visit to the Apartheid Museum explains what it was like to live under the oppressive regime, through a mixture of film, photography and other exhibits
- A guided tour of the Soweto township not only gives an insight into a difficult past but also an optimistic future
- Explore the lively Maboneng Precinct for arts and culinary delights
- Wander through the scenic Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden
- Visit the Cradle of Humankind, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to uncover our ancestral origins.
Johannesburg also serves as a convenient gateway to the wildlife wonders of Kruger National Park and Sun City, offering a well-rounded introduction to the country’s diverse experiences.
What to do in Pretoria
Pretoria is South Africa’s administrative capital and visitors can immerse themselves in its unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty.
- Explore the Union Buildings and the impressive Kruger House Museum, each showcasing the nation’s governance and heritage
- The Pretoria National Zoological Garden offers a delightful encounter with wildlife
- Don’t miss the stunning Jacaranda trees lining the city’s streets in spring
- Visit the Voortrekker Monument and Freedom Park for insights into South Africa’s complex past
Pretoria is also the boarding point for the luxury Rovos Rail. This train route connects Pretoria with Cape Town, Victoria Falls and Kruger National Park.
How to fly to Johannesburg
Johannesburg is well connected with the UK and the rest of Europe, with direct flights offered by British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.
There are also good connections via the Middle East, with flights offered from Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad. There are also connections from elsewhere in Africa including Kenya Airways.
Whether you are looking to spend time in Johannesburg and Pretoria, or planning to explore further in South Africa, our expert Africa team are available to assist you in planning your next South African holiday.
Get In Touch