Holidays to Sun City, South Africa
Sun City is not your average holiday resort. With a fabulous choice of hotels, bars and restaurants and activities for all ages, even a week’s stay won’t seem enough.
Easy to reach from Johannesburg, Sun City is on the doorstep of a ‘Big 5’ National Park, or can be combined with Cape Town or an Indian Ocean island for a multi centre break.
Things to do at Sun City?
Sun City has something for everyone, including:
- Valley of the Waves – arguably South Africa’s best waterpark
- Maze of the Lost City – can you escape the Mayan ruin?
- Waterworld – where you can jet ski, water ski, parasail or just take a pedalo
- Gary Player Health Spa – offering a full range of massage treatments
- Gary Player Golf Course – on the European Tour’s Race to Dubai
- Lost City Golf Course – with Nile crocodiles in the lake on the 13th hole!
- South African Hall of Fame – celebrating national icons
- Sun City Casino – for those feeling lucky! Open 24/7 at the Soho Hotel
If that’s not enough, you can also go quad biking, ziplining or ten pin bowling, play mini-golf or try to crack the code at Breakout, Sun City’s new escape room.
Where is Sun City?
Sun City is in South Africa’s North West province, around a 2 hour 30 minute drive from Johannesburg.
Our Sun City holidays include either private transfers from O.R. Tambo International Airport or your Johannesburg hotel, or car hire, a popular choice with families and those continuing to Madikwe Game Reserve or Marakele National Park.
Sun City Hotels
Set among the bushveld with the hills of Pilanesberg National Park in the background, there is a choice of hotels at Sun City:
- Cabanas – the relaxed atmosphere, large swimming pool, separate kiddies pool and Kamp Kwena children’s club make Cabanas a popular choice with families
- Cascades – overlooking the resort gardens, Cascades offers a range of accommodation from family rooms to superior luxury suites
- The Palace of the Lost City –Sun City’s premium offering, the 5 star Palace offers elegantly styled rooms with handcrafted furniture and breakfast in the wonderous Crystal Court, with piano accompaniment
Sun City & Safari
Sun City borders the Pilanesberg National Park, where giraffe, hippo, elephant, rhino and wildebeest can be commonly sighted in the grassy valleys that sit within a circle of hills, once part of an ancient volcano. Game drives into Pilanesberg are available from the resort or you can stay overnight in the park for a more immersive safari experience.
Around 1 hour 30 minutes to the northeast of Sun City is Madikwe Game Reserve, one of the best places in South Africa to see lion and wild dog, and 2 hours north is Marakele National Park, where predators are more elusive, but the remote setting in the rugged Waterberg Mountains never fails to enchant.
Two popular itineraries include:
- Sun City & Safari – popular with families, combining two nights at the Kwa Maritane Bush Lodge with your choice of Sun City hotel
- Cape Town, Sun City & Madikwe – for those seeking a little of everything; cultural sights, wildlife and water slides!
Whether you have a question about a particular hotel or would like to plan a Sun City safari holiday our South Africa Experts are here to assist.
They can advise on the best time to visit Sun City or to see wildlife in the different parks and help you design your perfect itinerary. Just get in touch.
Get In Touch