Los Angeles & Southern California
Number one for most Los Angeles visitors is Hollywood, home to America’s film, television and music industries. Here you can follow the star studded Walk of Fame or visit an active film studio. In nearby Beverley Hills you will find the luxurious homes of the stars, as well as the fabulous shops and restaurants of Rodeo Drive.
For Baywatch fans, the trendy beach resorts of Santa Monica, Laguna and Venice Beach are well worth visiting, or head to the lively surf town of Santa Barbara on the coast north of LA.
To the south, the sun drenched cities of San Diego and Palm Springs depict the classic California lifestyle, with Spanish style architecture, fine parks and gardens and plenty of activities for a day out.
Things to do in Los Angeles & Southern California
- Shop till you drop on Rodeo Drive
- Walk along Santa Monica’s famous boardwalk and pier
- Enjoy a free day out at the superb Getty Center
- Look out for celebs and their houses in Beverley Hills
- Book a tour to Universal Studios® Hollywood
- Climb to the Griffith Observatory for a view of the city
- Enjoy family fun at Disneyland Park
- Experience the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego
- Play golf at one of Palm Springs’ famous courses
- Hit the surf beach and cocktail bars of Santa Barbara
By Road – San Francisco 380 miles; Las Vegas 270 miles
By Rail – From San Francisco and Seattle
By Air – Direct flights from the UK and most major U.S. cities
You can use the Metro system or taxis to get to most of LA’s top attractions. However, with a good system of toll-free freeways, a car is usually more convenient, particularly if you are exploring out of the city.
Tip: Rush hour traffic is from 07:00 to 09:00 and 15:00 to 19:00, so to make the most of your trip, it’s best to spend each day in a specific area to minimise travel time.