Holidays in Texas
With modern cities, historic towns, beaches, deserts, national parks and the Rio Grande River, Texas certainly offers a unique landscape to explore.
The cities of Houston and Dallas are bustling labyrinths of towering skyscrapers, whilst San Antonio offers an altogether different feel; once a Native American village along the southern edge of the Texas Hill Country, the city is now a World Heritage Site, home to the famous Alamo.
For a truly Texan experience, Graham, in the heart of hill country, extends visitors the opportunity to live out childhood dreams of being a cowboy with a stay on a fully working ranch.
Things to do in Texas
- Explore Big Bend National Park
- Learn the rich history of the Alamo in San Antonio
- Visit Mission San Jose, the largest mission in San Antonio
- Stroll along San Antonio’s River Walk
- Spot turtles on South Padre Island
- Visit the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas
- Take a free tour of the Texas State Capitol in Austin
- Live like a Cowboy in Texas Hill Country
By Road – New Orleans to Dallas 505 miles; Houston 249 miles; San Antonio 543 miles; Austin 511 miles
By Rail – Dallas to San Antonio: 5.5 hours
By Air – Direct flights from the UK and most major cities to Houston, Dallas and Austin. Indirect flights available to San Antonio.
Texas is huge, so it’s highly unlikely you’ll want to try to see it all in one visit. Most visitors will explore either one or two cities or a relatively small section of the state. For those visiting major cities, it’s easy to fly in, use public transportation, and then fly or take the train to the next city. However, those who plan to see a variety of Texas cities will find that the most practical way to see Texas is by car.
Plan your holiday