Discover Northern Thailand
Whether you want to meet rescued elephants, get to know remote Thai tribes or relax with a Thai massage, our Asia experts can include a variety of activities and experiences in your holiday.
Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Visit Elephant Nature Park where rescued elephants now live
- Wander Chiang Rai’s night bazaar and food court
- See rural life for Thailand’s remote hill tribes
- Learn how Thai orchids are cultivated at an orchid farm
- Relax in Mekajan hot springs
- See the Golden Triangle where Laos and Myanmar (Burma) meet Thailand
- Visit elaborate 14th century Buddhist temple Wat Phra Singh
- Walk around the old city of Chiang Mai
- Go on a temple tour to the White Temple, Wat Rong Khun, in Chiang Rai
- Taste Northern Thailand’s traditional dish Khao Soi
The quickest way to get to Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand is to fly from Bangkok airport.
By Air – Flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai take just over an hour and the airport is about 20 minutes from the city centre.
By Road – Buses from Bangkok to Chiang Mai take around 10 hours, and from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is a further 3 hours by road.
After the culture of Northern Thailand, why not head to Krabi, Phi Phi or Phuket for tropical relaxation? Or one of the beaches on Thailand’s gulf coast, which offer easy access back to Bangkok?
Combining Northern Thailand with Cambodia or Laos are also popular options for those planning a multi destination Asia holiday.Plan your holiday