Around North Queensland
Queensland’s Great Barrier Reef coastline boasts many hidden beaches and some of the most beautiful islands in the world.
These reef islands are often covered in lush tropical rainforest that gives way to fine, white sand beaches and the crystal clear waters of the Coral Sea. Many offer romantic resorts accommodation where you can relax and refresh during your Australia holiday.
Down the coast from Cairns and further inland, amongst the sugar cane fields and fruit plantations, are North Queensland’s quiet country towns, where you can linger for a while on a leisurely driving holiday. The larger coastal centres of Townsville, Airlie Beach, Mackay and Rockhampton are gateways to the region’s stunning beaches and islands.
Northern Reef Islands
- Green Island – luxury Eco lodges 45 minutes from Cairns
- Fitzroy Island – snorkelling, diving and kayaking close to Cairns
- Orpheus Island – intimate, all-inclusive luxury resort right on the reef
- Magnetic Island – popular island resort a ferry ride from Townsville
- Hamilton Island – superb facilities and a choice of accommodation
- Daydream Island – fun and friendly island with plenty of activities
Island transfers can be by launch, ferry, plane or helicopter depending how far they are from the mainland. Your FREEDOM consultant will arrange island transfers for you.
By Road – The easiest way to get around North Queensland is by car or motorhome. The Great Barrier Reef coast is one of the most scenic touring routes in Australia and many visitors make the whole journey from Brisbane to Cairns.
By Rail – The Spirit of Queensland runs 5 days a week between Cairns and Brisbane with access on the way to Townsville, Fraser Island and the beautiful Whitsundays.
By Air – There are local flights between Cairn, Townsville and Hamilton Island, plus several smaller North Queensland towns.