Cairns is the hub of many North Queensland activities, as well as a great place to stay in its own right. Most of the tours and Great Barrier Reef excursions go out from here, although there are pickups from nearby beach resorts as well.
- Cruise, snorkel and swim over the Great Barrier Reef
- Discover the lakes and waterfalls of the Atherton Tablelands
- Learn about Aboriginal traditions at Tjapukai Cultural Park
- Browse the boutiques and galleries of fashionable Port Douglas
- Explore the ancient rainforest of the Mossman Gorge
- Enjoy a good Aussie breakfast at a Cairns Esplanade eatery
- Cast yourself adrift on an Island Resort
- Cross the Daintree River to historic Cooktown
- Learn to dive beside the Great Barrier Reef
- Spot wildlife and more from a helicopter or hot air balloon
- Dine under the star at Palm Cove waterfront
- Head to Kuranda village on the Skyrail rainforest cableway
There are day tours to nearly all the must-see attractions, which you can pre-book before you go but, for longer stays in North Queensland, consider a hire car.
By Road – Cairns is 400 miles from the Whitsunday Islands and 1050 miles from the capital of Brisbane.
By Rail – aboard the Spirit of Queensland from Brisbane.
By Air – Some direct flights from the UK and regional flights from most major cities.