Holidays to Brisbane
Brimming with positive energy, Brisbane is a city of rooftop bars and boutique breweries, forward-thinking museums and galleries and glorious parklands and gardens – bathed in 283 days of sunshine per year!
From Queensland’s capital, it’s also just a short drive to the theme parks and beaches of the Gold Coast, dolphins of Moreton Bay, rainforested Hinterlands and world-renowned Australia Zoo.
Whoever you are travelling with, a holiday to Brisbane won’t disappoint!
Things to do in Brisbane
Here are a few of our Aussie Specialists’ favourite things to do in Brisbane:
- Rise early to watch the sunrise over the city from Mount Coot-tha Lookout, before a leisurely bushwalk in Brisbane Forest Park
- Marvel at the masterpieces on show at the Queensland Art Gallery and adjoining Museum of Modern Art, both free to enter and open daily
- Treat your tastebuds at Eat Streets Northshore, where 180 repurposed shipping containers now house 70 micro restaurants, bars and shops
- Spend a lazy afternoon in the South Bank Parklands by the Brisbane River, with its free swimming pools and barbeque areas
- Ride the elevator to the top of the clock tower at Brisbane City Hall then learn about the city in the Museum of Brisbane on the third floor
- Meander through rainforest to lagoons, bamboo groves and cactus houses at the wonderful Brisbane Botanical Gardens on Mount Coot-tha
- Shop till you drop in the arcades and shopping centres on Queen Street Mall, home to both international brands and local designers
- Enjoy a drink in one of Brisbane’s many rooftop bars or fresh from the tun at one of its boutique breweries
- Sing along with locals at a T20 cricket match or game of Aussie Rules Football at the Gabba, Brisbane’s iconic oval
Things to do around Brisbane
The gateway to South Australia, from Brisbane you can:
- Visit the Gold Coast to swim in the Pacific Ocean at Surfers Paradise, dine al fresco in Broadbeach or ride the rollercoasters and water slides at Sea World, Dreamworld or Warner Brothers Movie World
- Enjoy a day trip to Lamington National Park to explore its subtropical rainforest, caves and waterfalls, connected by well-maintained walking trails
- Cuddle a koala or go behind the scenes at the wildlife hospital at the famous Australia Zoo, run by the family of the late Steve Irwin
- Stay overnight on Moreton Island, where you can meet wild bottlenose dolphins and snorkel around the iconic Tangalooma Wreck
- Take a road trip to Australia’s Nature Coast to visit the breathtaking Fraser Island or go whale watching from Hervey Bay
Whatever you would like to do on your holiday to Brisbane, our Travel Experts can help. They have all explored Australia’s East Coast and would be pleased to create a tailor made itinerary for you. Just get in touch.
Getting to Brisbane
Australia’s third-largest city, Brisbane, is well connected domestically and internationally.
To fly from Sydney to Brisbane takes 1 hour 30 minutes and from Cairns or Melbourne to Brisbane just over 2 hours. There are regular flights from London to Brisbane, touching down in Dubai or Singapore, as well as routes from UK regional airports.
Queensland’s capital is an essential stop on any East Coast Australia road trip and sits just over 900 km from Sydney and 1680 km from Cairns.
You can also explore the Sunshine State by rail with a Queensland Rail Pass, which includes travel on the Spirit of Queensland and coach connects to Hervey Bay and Airlie Beach.
Planning Your Holiday to Brisbane
As one of the UK’s largest independent tour operators, with FREEDOM, you can book everything you need for your Australian holiday in one place, to benefit from a single point of contact and full ATOL protection.
Be it your Brisbane hotels, day tours and experiences, Australian campervan hire or internal flights, our Aussie Specialists can help.
Please browse our Brisbane holiday ideas for inspiration then get in touch to plan your own adventure.
Get in Touch