Holidays to Cairns
Blissful beaches, vibrant reef, cascading waterfalls, ancient rainforest – Cairns is not only a perfect addition to a multi centre adventure or East Coast Australia road trip, but a holiday destination in its own right.
Things to Do in Cairns & North Queensland
With an abundance of natural wonders right on your doorstep, there’s plenty to keep you entertained during your holiday in Cairns. Here are a few recommendations from our Travel Experts:
- Experience the Great Barrier Reef, whether that be cruising along its aquamarine waters or snorkelling or diving between amongst its colourful coral, this is a must on any Cairns holiday
- Embark on a day tour to Daintree and explore one of the oldest rainforests in the world, home to wildlife unseen anywhere else on earth
- Discover Cape Tribulation, a destination where the flora and fauna of the rainforest touches the azure blue waters of the Great Barrier Reef. This gem is one of the few places on earth where two World Heritage sites meet
- Board the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway from Cairns and glide above dense emerald canopy to Kuranda, ‘the village in the Rainforest’
- Learn more about Australia’s aboriginal heritage on a cultural tour, where you will hear traditional stories and sample authentic bush tucker
Where To Stay in North Queensland
- Cairns – The gateway to Tropical North Queensland and two of Australia’s greatest icons, the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest, you won’t be short of things to do and see in this laidback city
- Port Douglas – Popular with both visitors and locals alike, Port Douglas offers a stylish stay beside the sea. Enjoy boutique shopping, an abundance of restaurants and bars, and glorious golden sand beaches
- Palm Cove – Famed for its centuries-old Melaleuca trees that line its winding Esplanade, the fashionable seaside village of Palm Cove is the perfect coastal escape. Sunbathe on soft sand beaches, or head to one of its many eateries to dine on freshly caught seafood
- Trinity Beach – A golden crescent of sand studded with coconut trees and washed by the warm waters of the Coral Sea, Trinity Beach is well-loved by all who visit. This laidback location has plenty of restaurants, bars and beachside cafes to keep you entertained
- Island Getaways – Australia’s Coral Sea coastline boasts some of the most beautiful island resorts in the world. From sumptuous Hamilton Island to eco-friendly Green Island, you’re sure to find your own slice of paradise
Getting to Cairns
From the UK, there are currently no direct flights to Cairns, but this can make for a great opportunity to add a few nights in another of Australia’s fantastic cities, or even enjoy a taste of Asia with a stopover in Singapore or Hong Kong en route. Browse our full range of stopovers to Australia to see where you can fly before your trip to Cairns.
To fly from Sydney to Cairns takes approximately 3 hours and 10 minutes, and from Brisbane to Cairns around 2 hours 20 minutes.
Alternatively, the Spirit of Queensland train from Brisbane to Cairns is also a great choice for those looking for a picturesque way to travel the state.
Planning Your Cairns Holiday
Whether you’d like to learn more about one of our pre-designed Cairns holiday ideas, or you would like a tailor made itinerary designed specifically for you, our friendly team are here to help.
Our Australia Experts have been planning Cairns holidays for over twenty years, and would love to use their expert knowledge to help you plan the trip of a lifetime.
Get In Touch