Holidays to Fogo Island
Found off the rugged Newfoundland coast, and surrounded by the vast Atlantic Ocean, Fogo Island is a secluded and picturesque island that encapsulates the spirit of Atlantic Canada.
The island’s untamed coastline boasts majestic cliffs, sandy beaches, and charming fishing villages, which are ideal for nature enthusiasts and hikers alike. A network of trails provide stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean, and opportunities to spot the local marine life, including whales, seabirds, and seals.
What to do on Fogo Island?
Things to do on a holiday to Fogo Island include:
- Hiking and Nature Exploration – Explore rugged coastlines, dense forests, and picturesque lookout points, all while discovering the island’s unique flora and fauna
- Whale Watching – Join a guided boat tour and witness these incredible marine creatures up close, including humpback whales, fin whales, and minke whales
- Cultural Immersion – Visit artist studios and galleries to appreciate the island’s thriving arts scene, learn about traditional crafts such as boat building and rug hooking
- Iceberg Viewing – Witness the awe-inspiring sight of these massive ice formations, sculpted by nature, and capture unforgettable photographs
- Culinary Delights – Taste fresh seafood delicacies, enjoy traditional Newfoundland dishes, and savour delectable meals prepared by talented local chefs.
Where to stay on Fogo Island
The place to stay on Fogo Island is the award-winning Fogo Island Inn – an eclectic mix of modern architecture and warm, cosy interior design that offers a unique blend of breathtaking scenery, ultra-cool design and suites with panoramic views of the North Atlantic and the night sky through floor to ceiling windows.
Getting to Fogo Island
Fogo Island is a 45 minute to 1 hour ferry ride from Farewell, depending on the weather conditions. The ferry service operates multiple times a day, but it’s recommended to check the schedule in advance to plan your departure.
Farewell is located on the northeast coast of Newfoundland, approximately a 3 to 4 hour drive from St. John’s. You can either rent a car or take a taxi or private transportation service to get there.
Fogo Island Holidays 2024 & 2025
Whether you would just like to find out more about Fogo Island or plan a multi centre holiday to Canada, please get in touch.
Our Canada Experts have all travelled throughout the country and would be delighted to use their first hand experiences to help design your ideal Fogo Island adventure.
Get In Touch