Road Trips in New Zealand
The size and scenic beauty of New Zealand makes it the perfect road trip destination. New Zealanders drive on the left as we do, and the roads are quiet, clearly signed and well maintained.
Self Drive Tours
Our self drive adventures start in New Zealand’s main cities and you can pick up your car in the city centres or at the airport before you head out onto the open road. You can combine them with other holiday options or join two or more for a longer self drive holiday.
Our carefully planned self drive tours will help you get the most out of your holiday. The travel pack you receive on arrival includes a day-by-day itinerary, maps and local information so you can plan each day’s sightseeing and activities. Hotels are pre-booked for you, so you receive a comfortable bed and a warm kiwi welcome at the end of the day.
Travel in comfort and style in our range of quality campervans carefully selected from the best New Zealand has to offer. From campervans perfect for one or two, to full size motorhomes suitable for the whole family, your Freedom Consultant will help find the campervan that is right for you. Throughout New Zealand you will find clean, well-equipped campervan parks with powered sites and modern amenities, often in stunning locations.
For part, if not all of your stay in New Zealand, a rental car gives you the added freedom to explore at your own pace. Driving conditions are excellent, roads are wide and well-maintained and once outside the city, you are likely to have the road to yourself.
We’ve teamed up with Hertz, renowned internationally for quality and value, to bring you a great choice of cars with locations right across New Zealand that are convenient for you.
Top New Zealand Road Trips
All these top New Zealand road trips and more are available through Freedom Destinations.
- Ultimate New Zealand – A superb journey around the North and South Islands with time to stop and explore the beautiful cities of Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch, the natural wonders of Rotorua, and the wine region of Marlborough.
- New Zealand Grand Tour – Combine touring the North and South Islands for an action packed two week adventure around the whole of New Zealand.
- Touring the North – A 6 day road trip from Auckland to Wellington via Napier, Lake Taupo and the steaming geysers and springs of the Rotorua thermal region.
- Touring the South – A tour around the breathtaking coastal vistas and dramatic mountain scenery around New Zealand’s remote South Island.
- Bay of Islands – A 3 day journey to the beautiful Bay of Islands which can be easily added to a 2 or 3 week self drive itinerary.
Whether you’d like to book one of our pre-planned self drives or would like a personalised road trip designed especially for you, our team of Travel Experts are here to help. All of our team have spent time in New Zealand and would be happy to use their specialist knowledge to help you plan an adventure you’ll never forget!
Plan your driving holiday