Holidays to Victoria Falls 2024 & 2025
Victoria Falls is a demonstration of nature at its most potent, effortlessly transforming the calm waters of the Zambezi River, dotted with boats and hippos, into a raging cascade that has carved a spectacular chasm into 180 million year old bedrock, and that sends a towering column of mist high into the African sky. If you’ve never been a ‘waterfall person’, a holiday to Victoria Falls may just win you over.
Twice the height of Niagara Falls, ‘The Smoke That Thunders’ as it is locally known, straddles the border of the Zimbabwe and Zambia, with a great choice of hotels and lodges on either side.
Close to a number of Zimbabwe’s best wildlife reserves, Chobe National Park in Botswana and the Caprivi Strip in Namibia, Victoria Falls also makes a superb starting point, or climax, for a thrilling tour or safari.
With FREEDOM you can book everything in one place; flights, hotels, excursions and more. Our Africa Experts have all witnessed the power of the continent’s greatest natural wonder and would love to help you plan your ideal Victoria Falls holiday.
Facts About Victoria Falls
- Victoria Falls is considered the largest waterfall in world, based on the size of the falling curtain of water, in peak flow 1,708 by 108 metres
- The volume of water that flows over the edge of Victoria Falls varies between 300,000 and 3,000,000 litres per second, dependant on the season
- The spray of the falls can rise up to 800 metres into the air, where it can be seen from nearly 50 km away
- Elephant, buffalo, giraffe, zebra, lion, leopard, baboon and crocodile live in the adjoining Victoria Falls and Mosi-oa-Tunya National Parks which protect the falls and surrounding areas on the Zimbabwean and Zambia sides respectively
- A ‘moonbow’ can often be seen at the falls, a complete circular rainbow
- Victoria Falls is located almost exactly halfway on the Zambezi River’s 2,574 km journey from its source in northwest Zambia through Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique to the Indian Ocean
Ways to See Victoria Falls
From above, below, with dinner… there are numerous ways to appreciate ‘The Smoke That Thunders’. Our customers’ favourites include:
- From the skies, on a Victoria Falls helicopter flight, that also provides a superb aerial view of the Zambezi River and National Park
- With an expert guide, who’ll take you to best viewing spots and share their knowledge of the falls, local geography and wildlife.
- From the iconic Victoria Falls Bridge, aboard a beautifully restored steam train over a four course gourmet dinner as the sunsets over Africa
- From the very edge, sitting in the Devil’s Pool at the top of Victoria Falls, accessible from the Zambian side. For thrill seekers only!
- From your hotel. The Avani Victoria Falls Resort offers direct access to the Zambian side of the falls. Zebra also frequent the hotel grounds!
Things To Do Around Victoria Falls
If you have slightly longer in Victoria Falls, there is plenty to do in the local area, for wildlife enthusiasts, adventure lovers and those looking to unwind. Why not:
- Take a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River above Victoria Falls, on which you are likely to also see hippo, elephant, crocodile and a variety of birdlife
- Enjoy a game drive in the wildlife rich Zambezi National Park, located just 5 km from Victoria Falls town centre. Lion are frequently sighted
- Go whitewater rafting through the swirling rapids downstream of the falls or bungee jump from Victoria Falls Bridge
- Float above the hardwood forests clinging to the banks of the Zambezi River gorges on a highwire Canopy Tour
- Meet orphaned and rescued elephants at the Wild Horizons Elephant Sanctuary & Orphanage, and learn about these gentle giants from their keepers
Multi Centre Victoria Falls Holidays
An unmissable attraction in its own right, Victoria Falls’ international airport and proximity to its Southern African neighbours make it a superb stop on a multi centre holiday. To provide a little travel inspiration here are a few popular combinations:
- African Adventure – an 11 day safari and beach holiday to Victoria Falls, Chobe National Park in Botswana and Vilanculos in Mozambique
- Great African Rail Adventure – a 23 day grand voyage on Rovos Rail from Cape Town to Victoria Falls, before a Kenyan rail safari and beach stay
- Cape Town, Namibia & Victoria Falls – a three night city stay before an incredible 12 day self drive through deserts and National Parks, then two days by ‘The Smoke That Thunders’
- Kenya & Victoria Falls – a great value two centre holiday including and eight day safari to the Masai Mara and Amboseli National Park, before two nights on the Zambian side of the falls
There are plenty more holiday ideas and safaris that visit Victoria Falls across our website. Alternatively, please get in touch if you would like one of our Africa Experts to design a tailor made itinerary, just for you.
Flights to Victoria Falls
From the UK there are flights to Victoria Falls via South Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia.
British Airways and South African Airways fly from London Heathrow to Johannesburg, from where you can connect to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. With Ethiopian Airlines you can fly from London or Manchester to Victoria Falls, via Addis Abba. Kenya Airways currently flies into Livingston on the Zambian side of the falls, from London via Nairobi.
From Victoria Falls Airport you can fly into some of Zimbabwe’s more remote National Parks, including Mana Pools on the Zambezi River and Matusadona on the shores of Lake Kariba. There are also flights to Windhoek in Namibia, Maun in Botswana, for connections to the Okavango Delta, and Cape Town in South Africa.
From Livingstone Airport, recently renamed the Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport, there are direct flights to Kruger National Park.
Victoria Falls Airport is 22 km from the town centre. Your Travel Consultant can arrange hotel transfers for you. Livingstone Airport is on the edge of the town.
Tours & Trains to Victoria Falls
With many tours and safaris concluding at Victoria Falls you build the journey to Zimbabwe’s most famous attraction into your holiday. Both our Cape Town to Victoria Falls and Northern Experience small group tours explore the stark, but stunning landscapes of Namibia, and wildlife laden National Parks of Botswana en route, for example.
To arrive in style, why not take the luxurious Rovos Rail to Victoria Falls? The service on board is second to none and locally inspired menu exquisite. Day three of the four day journey includes a game drive in Hwange National Park.
Zimbabwe or Zambia, adventure tour or luxurious rail journey, however you would like to arrive at, and experience Victoria Falls, at FREEDOM we can help.
From your first phone call, you will have a personal Travel Consultant to help you plan your itinerary, perfect the finer details and then put everything in place for you, as an ATOL protected package.
Our Africa Specialists have all travelled throughout the continent and would be pleased to design you a Victoria Falls holiday as unforgettable as its central attraction!
Get In Touch